Top 10 Local SEO Tools to Improve Your Business.
Local search engine optimization (SEO) has become increasingly important to the success of your business. Even if you’re not trying to attract national or international clients, having your website ranked high in local search results can increase your traffic and leads significantly, leading to more sales and more profit.
Unfortunately, not all local SEO tools are effective—in fact, most aren’t! Here are the top 10 tools that will help you start improving your local ranking right away with no risk or cost to you.
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is a method of optimizing your website to appear in local search results.
For example, let’s say you own a barbershop in Oakland, CA. If someone searches “barbershop Oakland CA” on Google, you want your business to pop up as one of the first results. That’s Local SEO!
Local search is based on location and it is becoming more important as people increasingly use their phones to find a business near them.
With local search, you can rank for keywords that contain your location such as:
- Oakland barber shop
- Barber shop near me
- Best Oakland barber shop
While local search is focused on ranking websites for specific locations, there are some tools that can help you rank higher in local searches regardless of what city or state you are trying to target.
What is a local SEO tool?
A local SEO tool is a software program designed to help businesses meet and exceed local search optimization (LSO) requirements. LSO is a subset of search engine optimization (SEO), which seeks to improve website rankings in various search engines such as Google and Bing. While LSO requires specific knowledge and strategies, there are many general practices that apply regardless of industry.
Top 10 best local SEO tools
In order to improve your business online, it’s important to find local search engine optimization tools that work best for you. Here are some of my favorite SEO tools for local businesses.
1) Google My Business
Google My Business is a free, easy-to-use Google product that can help your business get found in Google Maps, Search and other places. If you have a local business, then Google My Business is for you.
And if you don’t have a local business — well, we still think you should set one up just so that people searching for local businesses like yours can find your listing on Google and contact you (and hopefully patronize your establishment). Signing up for an account takes about five minutes.
While there’s a lot to love about Google My Business, it isn’t without its share of flaws. Here are the pros and cons of using Google My Business:
- You can use Google My Business for free.
- The platform makes it easy to add photos and videos to your listings.
- Google My Business allows you to respond to customer feedback and reviews, which can help you with marketing and customer service.
- You can share important business updates with customers through the platform.
- The platform allows you to manage multiple locations from one place.
- Requires an active Google+ profile.
- Requires frequent engagement to maintain an active listing.
- You might have to pay a fee. Some directories charge a monthly fee to add your business listing, though there are plenty of free options available too.
City-Data is a collection of local business resources. If you want to find local newspapers, weather, and more, City-Data can help. This information is provided through crowd-sourced data, which means it’s all contributed by users like you.
The only information City-Data collects is that which users provide when they’re adding or editing their entries. That makes it a fairly safe resource for finding local businesses in your area.
But there are some Pros and Cons of City-data, those are :
- Free to use with no registration required (although some features are limited).
- Accessible via desktop or browser extension.
- Widgets can be embedded on websites and social media profiles to display location information quickly.
- Reviews can be exported into a Google audit spreadsheet.
- Data is not as reliable or thorough as other sources. There are many inconsistencies.
- It is not free to download in bulk (no API).
- Some features like Keyword Finder are only available on the paid plan.
3) Keyword Planner
Finding great keywords is not easy. I use the google Keyword Planner to get a long list of ideas. It provides a wealth of information about how many people are searching for specific terms, as well as related terms and specific keywords that Google thinks are related to your original term.
If you’ve used it before, you’ll have noticed that Google has updated and changed some features in the tool, making it more useful than ever. However, there are also plenty of hidden features and things you should know before using it.
Here’s what we think you should know before using the tool.
- Free! (for most users, see below).
- Integrated with AdWords advertising.
- Provides access to search volume data (average monthly searches).
- Allows you to research keywords across different locations, languages, devices and time periods.
- It’s limited to Google only.
- It doesn’t give you an idea of how difficult a keyword is to rank for.
SEMrush is a powerful, versatile marketing tool that gives you insight into your competitors’ search engine optimization tactics.
If you have an online presence, no matter how small or large, then SEMrush should be a key element of your marketing strategy. You can use it to see what keywords are being used for search engine optimization, allowing you to potentially target them for your own site—or at least find out what’s working well for others and mirror it.
Here are some of its pros & cons:
- Keyword Research Tool – SEMrush is one of the most comprehensive keyword research tools on the market, with millions of keywords available for analysis.
- Competitive Research Tool – SEMrush can tell you about the keywords your competitors are targeting, where they rank and which traffic sources are working for them.
- Backlink Analysis Tool – with SEMrush backlink analysis, you can see which sites are linking to your competition and where they are getting links from.
- On-Page SEO Tool – the on-page SEO checker allows you to see how your own website’s pages stack up against those of your competition in terms of keywords and content quality.
- Rank Tracking Tool – with SEMrush rank tracking, you can keep an eye on all of your important keywords, including local ones, as well as your competitors’ keywords, so that you can see changes in positions over time and know when someone is overtaking you in SERPs .
- It’s expensive, with costs ranging between $100-200 per month.
- The interface doesn’t have the best usability, although it’s getting better over time. The company is aware of this and has been putting in effort to streamline the interface and make it more user-friendly.
Ahrefs is a go-to local SEO tool for keyword research. In addition to traditional data on your search ranking, Ahrefs also provides data on what pages have links from other local sites. This way, you’ll know which keywords are worth targeting and how to attract competitors’ backlinks.
you’re not sure whether Ahrefs is the right SEO tool for you, here are a few pros and cons.
- Fastest crawler (updates database every 15 minutes).
- Best backlink checker (follows links on pages, so you can see links from homepages and other high authority pages).
- Generally the most accurate ranking position data (we’ve cross-checked with live checks, Alexa and other tools).
- Offers a wide range of reports that can all be exported to Excel/CSV/PDF formats.
- Provides great suggestions for keywords to target based on Google Suggest, Related Searches and more.
- Has an easy-to-use interface that encourages experimentation with filters and segments.
- Lack of local SEO features. Given that Ahrefs is primarily focused on competitive SEO, it doesn’t have many features aimed at local SEO specifically. That said, it’s still possible to use Ahrefs for local SEO if you do a lot of competitive research.
- Pricing is relatively high compared to other options on this list (although not as expensive as Moz).
This is one of my favorite local seo tools because it’s incredibly user-friendly and efficient. Quicksprout gives you tons of information about your niche, including what keywords are most likely to attract traffic and which ones have low competition. But that’s not all.
If you’re serious about ranking on Google maps, check out their Local Citation Finder tool. This will let you know how many backlinks you need from top sites in your niche and other important citation-building information.
Quicksprout is a suite of SEO Tools. What makes Quicksprout different from other tools?
- You can see a list of high domain authority sites that link to your top competitors.
- You can determine where you and your competitors have backlinks in common, so you know where to compete for backlinks.
- You can see which keywords each site ranks for, how many positions they gained or lost and how much traffic those keywords generate for them (in the last 30 days).
- It will show you your competitor’s top content, so you know what type of content to create to outrank them.
- You can see how much traffic each site gets, which will help you prioritize who to target first.
- No keyword research tool available (however, there are other tools for this purpose).
- It is not cheap with a starting price of $49 per month.
- The tool is not very useful if you do not have any prior experience with SEO.
A professional-grade suite of tools, Moz empowers marketers with actionable data and insights. From discovering how many people are visiting your site to what keywords they’re using to find you, there’s a wealth of information here that can help you improve your business.
Moz Local is a tool that helps you update your local business listings across multiple sites, including Google My Business, Facebook, Yelp and more. You can also make sure your listings are accurate across various data aggregators that provide business information to other directories.
Moz Local is part of the Moz Pro Tools suite, which also includes keyword research tools, crawling tools, backlink tools and more.
Moz Local Pricing
Moz Local pricing starts at $84 per year for 1 location with up to 100 claimed listings. The paid plans are based on the number of locations your business manages.
Moz Local Pros and Cons
- Helps you manage your listings across multiple platforms with one tool.
- Lets you monitor updates from data aggregators so you can make sure the information is correct across multiple directories.
- Offers a free scan to see if you have any inconsistencies in your listing across various sites.
- Google Maps is a big one – you have to manually update your listing there.
- It’s not free – starting at $84/year for a single location, and costs can quickly add up if you have multiple locations.
From a business perspective, social sharing is all about exposure. If you’re trying to get more customers and sell more products, having your content shared as widely as possible is a great place to start.
Buzzsumo has an excellent suite of tools for tracking what topics are trending across different social networks, giving you key insights into which types of content resonate with your target audience.
BuzzSumo has a number of great features, but it also has some downsides that might make it the wrong choice for your business. Here are the pros and cons we’ve found.
- Find the most popular content in any local market, industry or niche.
- Search by keyword, author, domain, backlink count and more.
- Compare multiple keywords at once to see which one generates the most content and activity.
- Find the best performing social media posts on any topic or in any market.
- Not specifically geared toward local SEO efforts or ranking in Google Maps
- It may be difficult to integrate into your overall local SEO strategy if you don’t already have one in place.
Localeze is a website localization service that will help you appeal to global markets and localize your website in 16 languages. It provides affordable, high-quality translations and adapts your content for each country’s unique character. Now, even small businesses can compete on a global scale without sacrificing quality.
With Localeze by your side, you can get more customers from around the world. Search engines rank pages on the basis of their value and reputation. And that means more revenue for you!
Localeze is the most important and powerful tool for any business that wants to take advantage of the localized search. This tool is a place where you can list your business and manage your local data. Local data means everything from address and contact info, to hours of operation, to categories, etc.
Localeze is a B2B tool for local marketing agencies and other resellers. It’s also becoming an important tool for businesses that want to be able to control their own local listings.
- They provide plenty of data, including business name, address, phone number, description, website URL, hours of operation, products/services offered, and more.
- They help you create a solid business profile with the info you provide them. They act as an intermediary between businesses and directories. Businesses can update their profile through Localeze to ensure it’s consistent across these various services.
- They allow you to post your profile on their website so that customers can find it.
- They submit your business profile to many search engines and directories automatically.
- The customer service is excellent. The reps are friendly and knowledgeable and respond quickly to any questions or issues you have. You get assigned one rep who handles all your inquiries personally so there’s no need to explain yourself over and over again to different people.
- Localeze does not provide any other local SEO services or tools. You can only claim your business listings and add details about your business to the major directories using this tool.
- You can’t control what’s on your Localeze profile (you can only update your information and request that it be changed).
Best known for their Local Search Ranking Factors study and their Local Search Monitor, BrightLocal covers all of local search. Whether you’re looking to improve your rankings in Google or Bing, or if you’re simply curious as to what keywords your competitors are ranking for, BrightLocal has a tool that can help you discover insights into your local search performance.
BrightLocal is a suite of local SEO tools that can be accessed from one dashboard. These tools include citation finder, rank tracker, review builder, listings scan and the new local link builder.
The price for BrightLocal’s tools starts at $29 per month for the basic plan which covers up to 5 clients and provides access to all tools except the local link builder tool. every additional client after that is $9 per month.
As with every tool, there are pros and cons to using BrightLocal. Here we will take a look at some of them:
- BrightLocal offers a good variety of well-developed tools to help you with your local marketing efforts. It’s especially helpful if you want to track your rankings and citations.
- Their customer service is excellent. I’ve had questions about their rank tracker in the past and have received answers within 24 hours both times.
- The tool is relatively expensive. The pricing plans are not flexible. And although it has many useful extra features, they are not all included in the basic plan that you need to pay $99 per month for.
We hope you have found this list helpful, and that it has given you some insight into your local search strategy. Local search results can be a bit tricky, but when used correctly they can lead to a surge of organic traffic, especially if your business is a local or online business.
We’re not saying that you need all ten of these tools in order to rank well in local search, but we do encourage that you try out as many as possible and find the ones that best fit for your particular business. Ultimately, there isn’t a solution that fits all; every business is unique, so finding the right local SEO tool will require some work on your part. So we wish you luck with your project, and hope that the results are plentiful!
By the way, which is your favourite local SEO tool? and why? let me know in the comments down below!